We Energies and WPS propose to purchase the Koshkonong Solar Energy Center

0
52
Representative image from pixabay

We Energies and Wisconsin Public Service (WPS), the largest utilities in WEC Energy Group, propose purchasing the Koshkonong Solar Energy Center in south-central Wisconsin. If approved, the project would be the largest renewable energy project in the state. The Koshkonong Solar Energy Center would feature 300 MW of solar generation and 165 MW of battery storage. The total investment is expected to be $649 million.

Tom Metcalfe, President, We Energies and WPS, said: “The Koshkonong project is another key component in our effort to build a sustainable future and ensure electric reliability in the region. We saw this winter in Texas and other states the dangerous results when people are without heat and power. Our focus on investing in affordable, reliable and clean energy means customers will have the energy they need when they need it.”

Koshkonong is part of WEC Energy Group’s plan to invest nearly $2 billion in new solar, wind and battery storage projects at its utilities by 2025. The companies filed the Koshkonong solar and battery storage proposal this week with the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin. We Energies and WPS would own 90% of the project. Madison Gas and Electric would own the other 10%.

Invenergy will develop the project. If approved, construction begins in late 2022, with commercial operation in 2024.

Leave a Reply